Type Approval is granted to a product that meets a minimum set of regulatory, technical and safety requirements. Type approval simply means that the product is guaranteed to meet certain requirements for its type, whatever that may be.
The main objective of type approval is to ensure that all equipment that are used comply with international standards that protect consumers from products that are hazardous and ensure that their operation do not affect in any way the normal functioning of other equipment or the health of people around the operational areas.
Generally, type approval is required before a product is allowed to be sold in a particular country, so the requirements for a given product will vary around the world. Some of these devices requiring type approval are modular whereas others are whole.
The Authority is empowered under Section 3(n) of NCA Act 769 of 2008 to certify and ensure the testing of communications equipment for compliance with International standards; and environmental health and safety standards including electromagnetic radiation and emissions.
Regulations 78 and 79 of the Electronic Communications Regulations L.I.1991 enjoin the Authority to ensure that communications equipment used for radio transmission for commercial purposes are duly type approved.
The Type Approval is done per device model and not brand.
Dealership is a licence service that is focused on people who wish to sell communication equipment. The service is divided into three (3) options which include the following;
- Class A – Sales, installation, repairs and maintenance of fixed line phones, mobile and fixed cellular phones, fax machines, low power cordless phones, PABX with capacity of up to 50 lines and all necessary accessories.
- Class B – Sales of installation, repairs and maintenance Class A equipment, HF/VHF/UHF Radio equipment, line extenders, minor network installation including switching equipment of up to 300 line capacity, TVRO (Free on Air), ISM band equipment and its accessories.
- Class C – Sales installation, repairs and maintenance of Class A & B equipment, major network installation including switching equipment of more than 300 lines capacity, licensed band radio equipment, VSATs and all necessary accessories.
An application for Type Approval must be made using the Authority’s Type Approval Management System (TAMSys), accessible at the Authority’s website. Paper based application system shall only be accepted if the TAMSys is unavailable.
If this is your first time of using this online application system, use the Create New Account section to submit your company or personal details otherwise if you are a returning user, please use the Sign In To Your Account section by signing in with your email address and password.
In order to meet the type approval application requirements, the under-listed documents are requested from the applicants
- Completed Application Form
- RF, EMC, Electrical and Safety Test Reports in compliance with the internationally accepted Standards adopted by the NCA
- Technical description of equipment
- Declaration of Conformity
- Technical files including schematics, block diagram, component placement, labeling and photos
- Product information summary
- Power of attorney
An application for Type Approval must be accompanied by a Declaration of Conformity in the form set out in Appendix 1 of the Type Approval Guidelines and through local contacts.
Application for Type Approval must be accompanied by a Technical Documentation in the form described in Section 8 of the Type Approval Guidelines.
Applicant must complete the appropriate application form and submit it together with a copy of the receipt of payment of a non-refundable application fee as specified in the: NCA_Schedule_of_Fees_February_2015.pdf.
NCA Form D - Application Form for Radio/Telecom Equipment Dealership License